Three Habits That Destroy Your Smile

Posted .

1.) Not Flossing!

I know, you’ve heard it before… you need to floss every day. But why? You already brush your teeth twice a day. What more can a thin 18-inch piece of string really do? If you’re not flossing, you are only cleaning about 60% of your teeth, even if you are brushing twice a day. Each tooth has five surfaces and brushing alone only cleans three out of the five. Flossing cleans the remaining 40% of your teeth.

2.) Brushing too soon after eating or drinking

The high acid content in our food and drinks erode and demineralize the hard enamel surface of our teeth. Brushing right after you eat or drink causes more damage by brushing the acid into your teeth instead of removing it. Rinse your mouth with water after eating and drinking and wait 30 minutes before brushing and flossing.

3.) Using a medium or hard bristled toothbrush

Using a medium or hard toothbrush and aggressive back-and-forth scrubbing motion does more harm than good. You’re removing the plaque, but you are also causing irreversible damage to your teeth and gums by scrubbing away tooth structure and causing your gums to recede, exposing the roots of your teeth.